Quinoa and Black Beans
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- 1 3/4 cups water or broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- small onion, grated
- 1 can low-sodium black beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper
- large handful cilantro, chopped
- Gently warm up olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the garlic in a pot with a tight fitting lid. Add quinoa, and cook, stirring frequently until quinoa smells toasty (approx 2 minutes).
- Add water or broth, and bay leaves, cover pot with lid, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for approx 15 minutes until quinoa looks plump, but not mushy. Fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Add a splash of olive oil to a frying pan and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of garlic. Grate the onion over the pan and cook for a approx 30 seconds. Add the beans, the cumin, and salt and pepper. Cook until beans are heated through and onion is translucent. Mash the beans, leaving approx half of the beans whole.
- Take beans off the heat and then mix beans with the quinoa. Gently fold in cilantro.
- Serve (hot or cold) with a variety of toppings (chopped tomatoes, avocado, chicken, tofu, nuts, plain yoghurt, hot sauce, whatever your heart desires!)
Mini Turkey Meatloaves
(Dara doubled the amounts below to make 2 dozen meatloaves)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 eggs
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/3 cup parmesan, grated
- 1-2 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped (or 2 tsp dried rosemary)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- fresh black pepper
- tomato sauce/pizza sauce (optional- to top /garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly beat eggs.
- Grate zucchini and combine all chopped veggies, turkey, seasoning, oats and eggs. Mix with hands until well combined.
- Spoon into 12-cup muffin tin & smooth down (don’t “pack” down) with back of spoon.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove tin from oven, top each with a dollop of pizza sauce or pasta sauce, if desired.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan, then serve or store.
Check out Dara at www.bellybootcamp.ca